Image: Arrested BLF members in custody at the Brooklyn Police Station in Pretoria.
By Zanele Lwana and Lindsay Maasdorp
Today we saw once again how the State becomes a police and paramilitary state when white capitalists are threatened. At or about 13h00 today BLF visited the office of the Public Protector and asked 2 things of her:
1. Where is your report of the investigation of the R26 billion stolen by white capital from the public that you have been dealing with for the past 5 years?
2. When can you give BLF feedback on its request that you investigate it’s complaint of state capture by white capitalists, including that of Johann Rupert, lodged with your office in March this year?
Within 30 minutes of the protest the Public Protector responded with arresting BLF protesters by unleashing the police, military style on them while the place was being patrolled by rotary-wing aircraft. The following 26 BLF members were arrested and charged for public violence and trespassing at the Brooklyn Police Station including BLF’s National Convener Andile Mngxitama, National Coordinator Yerushka Chetty, National Spokesperson Lindsay Maasdorp, National Secretary for Political Education Ncedisa Mpemnyama as well as Provincial, Regional and Branch leadership and rank and file members:
James W Ndlovu
Jnr Azania wa Afrika
Manqoba Martin Maseko
They are currently held in police custody and will appear at the Hatfield Magistrates Court tomorrow morning at 8:30 am.
BLF demands for:
1. The immediate unconditional release of all BLF detainees.
2. The Public Protector to release her report regarding the R26 billion stolen by white capitalists which she has for the past 5 years refused to do anything about.
3. Investigate the complaint of BLF regarding state capture by white capitalists and release her report without delay.
Zanele Lwana and Lindsay Maasdorp are the Spokespersons of the Black First Land First movement.