By BO Staff Writer
BLF celebrated the Great October Revolution in an overnight event in Pretoria reflecting on the lessons of its legacy. The following is an article that was published on 28 October 2017, just before the occassion on the BLF website and is reissued by BO.
This year marks the 100th year of one of the greatest revolutions of the last century. The Russian revolution contributed powerfully to the idea of changing the world. The triumvirate of Lenin, Trostky and Stalin stands up as an ever lasting testimony to the great events that shook the world in October 1917. A vile oppressive monarchy fell. The revolution triumphed!
What are the lessons of the Russian revolution, if any, to us today? We know that Russia remains outside the sphere of influence of Western imperialism. Today, Russia is not socialist, but it’s part of the resistance to the West through the BRICS process. In South Africa today, the Communist party represents white monopoly capital against black liberation. What does this mean for the fight against white monopoly capital?
As part of remembering the great Russian revolution, Black First Land First (BLF) will spend the evening in critical reflections on the lessons of Russia for us today as we confront white monopoly capital and the post-1994 neo-apartheid state.
BLF president, Andile Mngxitama, will give the key note address.
1. Keynote speaker: Andile Mngxitama
2. Russian revolution film screening
3. Oupa Lehulere: Lessons from the Russian Revolution
4. Question and Answer session
5. Short break
6. The Russian Revolution and Women’s Emancipation (Ncamsile Sibiya)
7. Question and Answer session
8. Russian literature: An appreciation (Andile Mngxitama, Nume Mashinini in conversation) moderated by Athi Joja
9. The Russians and the Native Question (Bongani Sibeko, Mandlenkosi Phangwa)
10. Art and Revolution (Athi Joja)
11. Black Socialism (Neo Mokatsanyana)
12. Doing revolutionary propaganda (open mike)
13 Lenin on parliamentary participation and revolution (open mike)
14. Reviewing the Bolsheviks land decree (open mike)
15. BLF declaration on the Russian Revolution!
Issued by the National Coordinating Committee of Black First Land First (BLF NCC)
28 October 2017
Black First Land First Email:[email protected]
Facebook: Black First Land First
Cell: +27 79 915 2957
(Deputy National Spokesperson)
Cell: +27 82 216 7664