By Andile Mngxitama
Steve Biko was assassinated on the 12 September 1977. For a whole month I will share a qoutation from Biko and explain its meaning.
I shall also deal with some popular distortions. These explanations will be short. We must teach Biko’s ideas diligently to ensure there’s no misunderstanding or misrepresentation. If we don’t do this, Biko’s legacy is in danger of being destroyed. Some of the topics I will cover will include:
1. Who is black?
2. Who is the enemy of black people?
3. Race vs class
4. The role of whites in our struggle
5. Is Black Consciousness anti women?
6. Are there differences between, Steve Biko; Robert Sobukwe and Nelson Mandela?
7. Biko and the freedom charter
8. What is black consciousness?
9. Being black is not a matter of pigmentation
10. Is Radical Economic Transformation (RET) consistent with Biko’s teachings?
Andile Mngxitama is the President of Black First Land First, a revolutionary black consciousness movement. Black Opinion shall keep readers updated as each topic in the above list is addressed by the BLF President.