By Andile Mngxitama
Don’t let them fool ya nono… free electricity is possible. Countries and cities with lesser means than South Africa (SA) are giving it for free. Here’s the evidence:
1. Turkmenistan gives ALL its citizens free electricity since 1993.
2. Andhra Pradesh in India gives its farmers free electricity since 2004.
3. New Delhi will give all its citizens free electricity from this year.
4. Muammar Gaddafi in Libya gave his citizens free electricity.
In SA these facts and suggestions are significant:
1. 90% of the electricity is from coal.
2. Coal is free.
3. It is Eskom that pays mines to mine the coal (cost plus mines).
4. Household consumption (including fridges, televisions, lights and stoves) is less than 30% of all electricity produced by Eskom.
5. Eskom should sell the remaining 70% of its energy to industry.
6. One foreign company (BHP Billiton) eats 10% of our electricity and pays less than me and you per kilowatt.
7. Brian Molefe stopped loadshedding
8. Loadshedding started again under the Ramaphosa administration to justify privatization.
9. Pravin Gordhan hired a proven incompetent white man, Andre de Ruyter, to run down Eskom just as he had done with Nampak.
10. They are fooling us. Don’t let them fool ya….
SOWETO IS CORRECT, ELECTRICITY IS A RIGHT!
Andile Mngxitama is the President of Black First Land First (BLF), a radical black consciousness organization. You may access the article ‘Electricity is a right and we must not pay for it’ by clicking here.