Goodrich Gardee. Image credit: SABC
By Andile Mngxitama
I served in the War Council of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) with Goodrich Gardee – this man who says that parliament’s salary is too low. He used to literally tremble in fear when Julius Malema spoke to him harshly. It was a sorry thing to witness.
Now he is inventing really stupid reasons to try and hide that he has been discarded. He says that “[t]he hullabaloo about the salaries of MPs is misplaced”, and that the MP’s salary “is the most disgusting.”
But parliament is the best employer. MPs receive huge benefits, including:
1. +/- R1.2 million annual salary
2. Free housing in parliamentary villages comprising of good two bedroom houses
3. Easy access to creche right on the premises and to a primary school.
4. Free transport to parliament
5. Free travel to and from airports
6. Free parking at airports
7. Free breakfast in committees
8. Over 80 annual free flights
9. About R20k once off payment at the beginning of each parliament after elections
10. 24/7 security
Gardee, of course, is right in that his party leaders think that what parliament pays them is beneath them and hence they get Adriano Mazzotti and Johann Rupert to sponsor lofts for them in the beachfront – they don’t stay in the MP housing.
I have always felt bad for Gardee. He was perpetually trying to prove how loyal he was. It never helped him in the end. What’s disgusting is how a socialist can claim that all the undeserved perks enjoyed by MPs, are disgusting just to protect his former boss and a man in whose presence he shook like a leaf…
Andile Mngxitama is the President of Black First Land First (BLF), a radical black consciousness organization.