By Andile Mngxitama
A less than two months lockdown of the nation is a joke. But to work, a lockdown must first and foremost abandon the “herd immunity” policy of the United Kingdom (UK) and look to Cuba and China for a way forward.
In the letter Black First Land First (BLF) sent to President Ramaphosa we asked him to immediately declare a total shutdown of the nation. A lockdown without putting in place measures to put people first, amounts to an act of cruel dictatorship. We have asked that the following measures be undertaken:
1. Grant free testing and nationalize the healthcare sector.
2. Provide a universal income grant to all and financial bailout to small businesses.
3. Put a moratorium on mortgage bond and rental payments.
4. Grant free water and elecrity to all.
5. Grant free data for all.
6. Grant no payment of subscription to any television network.
7. Grant full paid leave for the employed.
8. Give the over 1000 Clinical Associates in the Health sector their powers back including prescription of medicines up to schedule four.
9. Deal with the backlog of licensing medical school graduates from the black universities.
10. Love this nation enough to save it from the coming Armageddon.
Andile Mngxitama is the President of Black First Land First (BLF), a radical black consciousness organization.