President Jacob Zuma. Image credit: Polity
By Andile Mngxitama
“I’ve always said I wanted my day in court. It is (time for) South Africans to hear the truth. My silence has always been to keep unity, but it is now time” – Jacob Zuma
Last week Jacob Zuma withdrew his application to the ConCourt for leave to appeal the decision of the lower court which had refused the application for the permanent stay of his prosecution.
He will now go to court to stand trial on charges of corruption relating to the arms deal that occurred between 1996 to 2005. This case, which was scheduled for this Wednesday, has been postponed to 23 June 2020.
The postponement is said to be related to the fact that the Prosecution might not be ready to proceed due to KPMG’s credibility which came into question after it withdrew its damning report on the SARS Rogue Unit which implicated Pravin Gordhan as its architect.
There are 4 main charges against Zuma, none of which have anything to do with when he was President of SA. Should the State be spending R100 million to pursue charges involving R4 million, where the whistleblower is an apartheid prosecutor and there’s no prima facile case that Zuma must answer to? Yes money was eaten through the arms deal, but not by Zuma!
Yesterday, 3 May 2020, I did a live introductory lecture on my Facebook page in which I elaborate on the persecution of Jacob Zuma.
Watch my full presentation: https://www.facebook.com/andile.mngxi/videos/1663201087172066/
Andile Mngxitama is the President of Black First Land First (BLF), a radical black consciousness organization.